Thursday, May 28, 2020

An Inventory of my Games



I should write down all the campaigns that I am running currently, for posterity. Some of them are OSR and some are modern D&D. There are a lot of them, now that I think of it. Someone should probably stop me from starting more, because at the current rate of expansion by the end of the year it will be a l l t h e g a m e s a l l t h e d a y s





5th Edition Wednesdays:
This game used to be the Adventurers League game at the friendly local game store, but during the quarantine we moved away from organized play and started running homebrew games. My brother and I switch off GMing, we each run one adventure and then switch off. I mostly run dungeoncrawls, with the premise that Acereak has kidnapped the party with planar magic and is using them to gather treasure from other dungeons to bring into the treasure room of the Tomb of Horrors. The players are playing characters from various D&D worlds and I am running them through various classic dungeons like Forge of Fury.





Dungeons & Dragons Intro Game:
This campaign is me running a group of new players through a short campaign in 5e. The premise is a mashup of the classic Against the Cult of the Reptile God and the 4e adventure Keep on the Shadowfell. The party is investigating a missing merchant, but has gotten involved with a cult to an evil snake goddess, the legacy of an ancient knight order, and a maniacal necromancer named Kalron the Unrepentant. It is a mix of investigation, fighting, and wilderness exploration. So that the newbies can learn about all the parts of modern D&D.





Ruins of Vor Rukoth: This is a game for my high school friends, it is a classic OSR sandbox based around a ruined city. The city used to be part of a great empire but it was destroyed by the tyranny of its leaders. Now it is a gold-filled ruin for adventurers to plunder. In addition to dealing with the undead remnants of the city, the party must interact with a variety of factions including the heirs to the ancient empire and the radical religious ground dedicated to avenging the evils done 100s of years ago by the empire. The main source of this campaign is a book from 4e but I have, as always, added and changed a lot to make a full campaign of it.





Dungeon World Sundays: This is another group of my high school friends and we play the Apocalypse World spinoff Dungeon World. We created the world collaboratively, and the game is mostly about exploring that and dealing with the activities of a sinister cult. The party has explored a forest grown from the corpse of a massive demon and thwarted a cult trying to awaken it, and that was just the first two sessions. One of my players is writing a detailed campaign journal which I might share in a future post if he is OK with it.





Peril on the Purple Planet: This is a game run on Wizzargh’s discord server, it’s an open table game played whenever both DM and players are free. The premise is a sword & planet game in the vein of John Carter of Mars with a bit more modern and post-apocalyptic flavour. The characters are mysteriously teleported to a strange purple planet littered with ruins and mysterious ancient technology. The premise of this game was stolen/borrowed from a Dungeon Crawl Classics module of the same name, but I have significantly expanded it already.





So that is all the games I am currently running. Almost all of them play as frequently as once a week, and there are so many of them. Knowing the adults in my life who barely manage to fit one day of games a week into their schedule, this is a veritable cornucopia of gaming. The only issue is that I am constantly struck with ideas for MORE campaigns and games to run. I try to cope by writing some down but there are just too many of them. If I am running into the issue of wanting to run all the games in finite time now as a teenager, how bad will it be when I am actually an adult and have to spend most of my days on a career and responsibilities and stuff?

No comments:

Post a Comment